Monday, March 24, 2008

Yes its the day after Easter and I am finally posting!

Life has been crazy! I have been adjusting to my "new life" and have been ignoring my blog!

I was diagnosed with this disease in December (Pseudo Tumor Cerebri or Intercranial Hypertension) and have been spending the last couple of months changing my life to adjust to my new way of being. I am still Jenn, but I am a slower, little less involved version. So in other words, I have become a normal human being!! I am working part time for the University of South Florida running a group of 6 interviewers (7 if you include me) for a study of Severely Emotionally disturbed children. Gustavo works for the County side of the grant. I still teach Drama and Music, but my hours of work are less than 30 hours a week. I still have my Girl Scout Troop, but my co-leaders are helping me so much and it is fantastic. I have learned to slow down, I actually take naps, and have learned to say no when people ask me to do things. I am giving up my religious education class in April, I gave up the extra volunteer things I did for the church, and I have already given up all the extra things I did for Girl Scouts of Broward County. The medicine I take for my headaches plays with my head a little bit and by evening I do not have the best memory. But there are some great side effects. I have lost over 20 pounds (the meds took away my appetite) and I have absolutely no cramps whatsoever where they used to be debilitating. There is a silver lining. I have also come to see life in a completely new light. I am so thankful for everything I have. Through this whole ordeal before we knew what it was, there was the thought that it could be a brain tumor. The fact that it is something I can live with, even if it is something that has changed me dramatically has shown me what is truly important. I take time to slow down and not have every single minute planned. I sit and enjoy doing nothing. I am thankful to have five minutes to my self. I have become a different person. That person who cuts me off while driving nno longer upsets me. I always thought I knew how blessed I was. I didn't. I know am fully aware of everything I have!!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Wow! I didn't know you were that serious. I am happy you are taking care of yourself, and adjusting to a slower pace. I had to do the same thing, I know it is hard, but we gotta stay alive for our children, right?! I Love and Miss you! Glad you are doing better, let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Until then I will continue to keep you in my prayers! Love you tons!